Hey Family!
This week has been not very eventful but we did see a lot of cool things that dont pertain to missionary work. I will proceed to tell you of the stories.
Friday evening we went to the members house who lost the Father and we saw them carry the casket in to the house for a viewing or something. When the body arrived, as tradition, they began to slaughter some sheep. The way that they began the slaughter was first, they cut off the testicles so that it wont die like a man, then they continue with slitting its throat with a knife sharpened on the nearest stone. They killed three sheep and I watched the whole thing. You'll have to keep an eye on Elder Smiths blog page because he'll post some videos of the excitment. Saturday we were at the funeral almost all day and it was a good service but when we went to the grave site and did a little service there, people were freakin! Almost all of the daughters fainted! They are about 30 years old and after they went to pay their last respects, they were walking back to their seats and just freaked out and fainted. The wife to the guy kept her cool. She's a great lady! Her name is Mama Ramatla and she is my favorite!
We also got some news on Saturday. Elder Smith is leaving me and I'm the new District Leader for the Katlehong District. I dont know why they keep giving me responsibility but I'll take it and try my hardest to do what I need to do. My new companion is Elder Teerlink.
So I'm just going to tell you about Moya this week because she is the coolest investigator I've had thus far on mission! The other day we taught her and her boyfriend the 10 commandments and the question came up from her boyfriend, "why was Christ baptized?" Elder Smith began to answer the question the best he can without scriptures. When he was done talking, Moya said, "there's a scripture about that in 2Nephi 31." Holy Cow! She loves reading the Book of Mormon! We gave her some cake on her birthday, Wednesday, and it made her day! I decorated it and it looked so nice! Also, there was some workshop at the church twice this week for some self employment thing and she went to it. On Sunday, in Sacrament meeting, they handed out certificates from that workshop and everyone was a member, except Moya. She brought her daughter to church because her daughter said she loves it so much! She even stayed after church to watch a baptism and after the baptism, she went up to the lady that got baptized and congratulated her. They didn't really even know each other! Moya is so cool! We got some scriptures for her too and a case that we're going to give to her before Smith leaves. She is the most awesome investigator ever!!
The week really has been slow. Speaking of slow, I finally sent the package but to airmail it it'd cost R600 so I just put it on a boat so you'll get it for Christmas or something! Sorry this isn't the best letter. Nothing great has happened and the email sucks so I haven't even read your email yet so sorry if I dont answer any questions for you. I do love you all though! I hope everyone is doing well because I am doing well here. I am still sick though with just some coughs that i wish would just leave but I still get things done! Take care and I'll let you know when I get your package! Thanks for the package! Take care and, as always, CTR!
Love,
Jordy Boy The Elder
Monday, 11 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
District Leader! That is great that he continues to get leadership experiences. And the sheep slaughtering? I dare any missionary in LA or NYC to come up with a story like that one! WOW!
Jordan! I am so proud of you! You're such a great missionary, and a HUGE influence to Leif. I know you've been a great inspiration for him and he can't wait to get out on his mission largely because of you. Way to put you're all into serving the Lord. You will be blessed so much for spending these two years doing His work. I can't wait to see you when you get home, we joke all the time that you'll marry one of the twins. If not you're already part of the family. Love you!! Keep up the good work. Tonya Adams (Ernst)
Post a Comment