Monday, 02 March 2009

Good Morning my family and friends,

Howzit? Things are going well here in South Africa! The sun is out with only a few clouds blocking it and there is a slight breeze warning us of coming rain. The weather here sure is crazy! The past few days it has been pouring rain! You know that Queen song "Under Pressure"? I always think of the lines, "it never rains but it pours" as I ride my bike or drive the car down the muddy roads here in Tsakane. Its nice though. Winter is coming and there will be not much water. I remember last winter in Thaba Nchu and the water would get turned off at our house in the township. Speaking of which, we are looking to moving to the township in our area now. We found a good house that a member owns and wants to rent it to us. She even offered to pay for a lady to come once a month and just clean the dickens out of the place. It sounds nice, but I doubt it'll happen. Plus if it does, I'll be far away from the gym and wont be able to get the huge body I need to defend myself from Jacob. He always tells me how many pushups he can do and that he'll kick my butt when I get home.

This week has been a busy one. Lots of highs and lows. One of the lowest lows was when we saw Phumla. She told us that her dad doesn't even want her to go to church anymore. It was pretty heartbreaking because she is very sad about it but we told her to not talk back to him and to do what's right and the Lord will provide a way. She's so awesome! In sacrament meeting, the seminary teacher got up to bear her testimony and she said that she got a text that morning from one of her students who wasn't a member yet just bearing her testimony and apologizing for not being able to come to church. The seminary teacher began to cry as she talked about how powerful Phumla is.

Testimony meetings in South Africa are more like story time. This Sunday, everyone was telling how gratefull they are for their friends and would give shout-outs to their friends. Right after their testimony, the friend would go up and return the favor by giving them a shout-out and telling how cool of a person they are. I was going nuts! Even the branch president talked for almost 20 minutes on stuff that wasn't even testimony. And my class was cut short because we didn't get out of Sacrament till half past. Yo! I was going crazy.

We are teaching these girls, Rita(25) and her sister Cindy(10), and we put them on baptism date. They have been having problems with their father, who doesn't live with them, come in their home and yell at their mom and be very abusive. He's been doing that for quite some time. They said that they can't even sleep because of fear that he'll come over in the night. We have been keeping them in our prayers and he hasn't been over for about a week now. Things are getting better for them and they love the gospel! Their mom sits in with us but doesn't understand english well.

We are starting to find some good father led families now. We are starving for good priesthood holders in the branch, but with the Lord's help and being obedient, we'll find them.
This Saturday we are doing a movie night at the school and we are inviting everyone. We told all the members and even made little flyers for them. We challenged each member to bring a friend with them and the senior couples said they'll make popcorn for the movie. Oh yeah, we're going to watch "The Testaments". Hopefully we'll find some new people to teach.

Well, thats how things are going here. Today we are taking the car in to get fixed because it'll rev up to 4000 RPMs when the clutch is in and so we're gonna get that fixed.
I sure love you all! Thank you for all your support and love. I loved the Valentines notes from everyone too. Thanks!

Take care and CTR!
Love, Elder Langston

No comments: